Sunday, August 7, 2016

Relay for Life


Saturday evening,  me (and the rest of the family) participated in the Relay for Life at the local high school. We had joined the team put together by my work and were there to make sure we would always have 2 walkers on the track.  The event was to run from 5pm - 1:00 am.  That's a lot of walking.

The weather was hit or miss.  While the temperatures dropped to a very comfortable place, rainstorms moved in and out all night.  

My plan was to walk the course most of the night, but at some point I was going to add my 3rd training run in so I wouldn't have to get up and do it before I went to work on Sunday. Watching the weather, I decided to do it a bit earlier in the evening than originally planned.  I am glad I did.  As I was finishing my cool down, the skies opened up.  I spent half of the 5 minute cool down helping to put a tarp around the team's canopy.  Then we huddled under it as it rained and rained and rained. 

I was a bit worried about the abrupt stop to my run.  I always worry about migraines when things are outside the plan.  But I ate my banana and drank lots of water and hoped for the best.

During our time under the tent, Noah and Riley continued to walk.  They held up the team on the track.  They also delivered food from the main tent.  They brought me Dickey's pulled pork. No carbs! I may or may not have eaten a lot of it.

When the rain tapered off, I continued walking. And walking. I walked most of the night and only ducked into the tent during the rain squalls.

Riley had a great time walking and dancing with other kids there.  Noah had a couple of friends show up to walk with him. Darcy showed up after she got off work, and her boyfriend, Travis,  joined us. Brian had to head home early with a terrible headache.


In memory of CDR Jason Much
In honor of Abby Furco
The highlight of the evening for me was the luminaria. We purchased and decorated bags for people we wanted to honor.  We were walking in memory of Jason Much and in honor of Abby Furco.  When they lit them up and turned off the lights, everyone participated in a "Silent Lap" as they read off the names.  It was quite moving. 

As the clock ticked on, our Team Captain needed to head out -- with the tent.  This seemed like the perfect time for Riley and I to head out as well. Darcy, Travis and Noah stayed to finish up and represent our team. 

You took a bead for each lap you completed.  I came home with 28 beads. 7 miles.  Noah came home with 50 beads! 12.5 miles.  Way to go, dude!








No comments:

Post a Comment