Friday, June 14, 2013

Cardio Blast


Two months after the new gym opened on base, I made it in to check out the much-touted new facility.  This is not a review of the new gym.  I am just stating how long I have been away.


The Class

I went to the Wednesday morning Cardio Blast class.  While it was a bit daunting to walk into the fitness room and see all of the stations set up on the floor, it turned out to be not scary at all and a lot of fun.  

We started the class by heading to the indoor track.  Run two laps.  (No problem).  Run a lap as fast as you can.  I tried.  I ran so fast it was actually hard to take the corners.  Oh, you've never heard of this problem?  That's because this track was only 1/12 of a mile long.  On the upside, that is about the length that I can sprint.  On the downside, it is similar to running around a large-ish room.  In the future, however, this could be a good place to do some speed work.  We also jumped and floor-touched our way around the track a few time, then back to the fitness room.  

Once there, we started going through the stations in 1-minute intervals, a minute of cardio-type exercise in between, 30 seconds of rest, and then on to the next station.  

The Problem

At the first in-between station, we were doing burpees.  Once I assumed the postion, it became VERY apparent that I had pulled something in my lower abs.  I don't know if this is a remnant of last Friday's class from hell, a side effect of the Crunch Challenge I had been doing with my friend, or who knows?  

On with the class

I completed the rest of the stations, making adjustments to accommodate the pain in my abdominals.  I couldn't do the ab work on the Bosu, jumping over the hurdles hurt, but was doable.  Jumping rope was great, but tiring.  I need one of those for home.  

Once everyone had made it through the stations, we headed back to the track.  A few more laps, with different exercises on each lap and then back to the room for ab work on the floor.  I sat on my mat and stretched.  
This is the track at the new facility (this angle makes it look big).
  I look forward to checking out what the fitness center has to offer.

The Takeaway

I would go back to this class.  Unfortunately, the instructor, Johanna, is transferring and this was the last time she would be teaching that class here in Newport.  I hope whoever they find to replace her is as capable and enthusiastic.


At Home

Good residual muscle soreness.  Super sore abs.  I have been rolling into and out of bed, couches, etc.    

Question

What classes do you like to take at the gym?  




No comments:

Post a Comment