Sunday, April 14, 2013

Afraid on Foreign Soil



I ran today.  I ran my usual route.  Or what had been my usual 2.25 mile loop.  Today was different.  Today, I ran afraid.
  • I ran afraid because nothing looked familiar.  It had been so long since I ran this loop that everything looked foreign.  All of the trees were bare. I could see houses that I couldn't see before.  Houses had been built in my absence.  Houses had been torn down and renovated.  It was not my usual route.
  • I ran afraid because I was only doing two and a quarter miles; three would have added another hill.
  • I ran afraid to run too fast.  I didn't want to tire out.  I ran with intervals
  • I ran afraid that the run and the weather front would conspire to cause another migraine.
  • I ran afraid that the road back was too long and too hard.




But this I know:
  • The foreign becomes familiar.
  • Two becomes three, then four, then five...
  • Slow becomes fast.
  • You can only prepare yourself the best you can; you cannot control the weather.
  • The road back is the right road.  

So for today, I ran.  I ran with fears and I ran with doubts, but I ran .  

I will not, however, tell you my time.  





1 comment:

  1. It's all about getting out there! I get afraid trying longer distances. Afraid that I will collapse in the middle of the park with no one around. Sometimes we have to run through the fear.

    ReplyDelete