Sunday, September 16, 2012

Just Go

This has long been one of my favorite running quotes.  I even had the bumper sticker.  I covered it up when I was no longer going.  It was just awkward to drive around in a car with a running mantra on it, knowing that I would not be going for a run anytime in the near future.  I'm thinking about getting a running shirt with it (but they have so many cute slogans, I can never decide).  



Today I did not go fast.  I did go.  I went long.  My run today was almost 8 miles.  I have been increasing my long run by a mile each week in a fast workup to 13.1 in October.  I usually add the mileage onto the front of my run.  Today, I planned on adding a little bit to the end of the run in order to make it an even 8 miles.  However, once I neared the end of the run (battling a side cramp), I kind of forgot about the extra bit at the end and went home on auto-pilot.  Oh well.  Close enough.  It's not rocket science.


In addition to the beautiful weather we are experiencing here on Jamestown, I also had company on my run!  Last weekend I was joined by a fellow Princess. (I'm not sure I can forgive Jessica for that name, but to be fair she has three boys; she never has and never will be inundated with Disney Princess stuff).  My running partner is another Jen!  It's really great to have someone to run with on the long runs.  It was especially great since I am experimenting with running without music again.

Why would I do that?  Well, it seems silly.  I like listening to tunes while I run; sometimes it gives you a little push.  But...I was looking over my runs and, coincidentally or not, I have only had migraines after runs that I had the music going.  When I started training, I was running without music, just enjoying the quiet.  And as I wrote about here , I really do enjoy the quiet.  Also, I am willing to try anything that will prevent a headache.

As part of that, our new Sunday ritual is to meet up (each Princess does her own thing:  walk, run short, run long), then fuel up with a delicious breakfast at one of the  local eateries--to avoid the post-run blood sugar drop, of course.  Today's fuel of choice was a Denver omelette (green chilies!) that was delicious.  Natalie and Jen also had omelettes (one Greek, one Santa Fe).  It was a trio of yumminess.  We earned it.  I wonder what's on the menu after next week's 9.5 miles?

Today's Run:  7.81 miles.  1:35:40    12:14 min/mile

How do you treat yourself after a run?



No comments:

Post a Comment