Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Run to Remember

Today's run was a group run.  My husband said over 1000 people had registered for the free race, and many others (like me) would just be showing up for the run.


I got up early this morning.  My alarm went off at 4:45am.  I came downstairs and started my super high-maintenance pre-run routine.  It felt a bit rushed because usually, I just step out the door when I am ready.  Today I needed to be out the door, over the bridge, and through gate traffic by a certain time.  



The race was set to start at 6:00am.  I found a parking spot and joined the steady flow of people into Gym 109.  As I walked into the packed gym, I looked around for my husband, Brian.  This wasn't as easy as it sounds.  The gym was packed with military men.  They all have the same hair cut.  I could rule out the NAPS kids, the Marine formation, and everyone in a standard yellow PT shirt.  I found him quite easily because 1) He's tall 2) I saw what he was wearing this morning and 3)  He was looking for me.


**************************************************************************************************
This post has been interrupted by the onset of an exercise induced migraine.  
**************************************************************************************************

Okay, so that was fun.  And after such a great run.  They started the run with the chaplain speaking.  It was very moving.  I was a bit teary and I saw many of the men  (sailors, Marines, and soldiers) around me surreptitiously wipe away tears.   Then we headed out.  It was a pretty good run.  I felt I could have gone faster, but I slowed down to run in with one of the NAPS kids that was dragging behind the formation.  She ran the rest of the way in with me.  So, it was still a much faster pace (which may have contributed to my subsequent migraine).

I have two runs to post today:

Sunday's run:  7 miles.  1:23:23  11:54min/mile pace  
I ran this race with a fellow Princess.  We ran her 2/1 intervals.  It was a great run.  Light drizzle and a big bowl of oatmeal at the Slice afterwards.  And No Migraine!  We plan on doing our 8 mile run together this Sunday.

Tuesday's Run:  2.5 Miles.  25:33   10:13 min/mile pace.


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the running progress. Hate that you keep having migraines! Thanks for keeping me motivated from so far away!!

    ReplyDelete