Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Best Intentions

Unintentional Intentional Intervals

Mackerel Cove in the morning.  Jamestown, RI

I knew I was running this morning.  I told myself over and over last night that I was running this morning.  I didn't sleep-in this morning because I wanted to get an early start before the oppressive heat gave me the excuse I was looking for.  Up early, cup of coffee and dressed in the coolest clothes I could find (unfortunately the only tank top I could find was an Ann Taylor Loft tank and not a workout tank.  It may never be the same.)

I stepped outside...into a lovely cool mist.  What?  Yes!  The morning run lottery!  I decided to head out to Fort Getty.  Turns out this is a 2.9 mile course.  As I began running, it felt like my brain was bouncing around inside my skull (more so than usual, but I kept going hoping it would soon subside--it did.)

As I turned onto Ft. Getty, I came upon an older lady out for her morning walk.  I decided to walk a bit with her.  (She is 73, Portuguese  a diplomat's wife, and has been spending her summers at Ft. Getty for 41 years).  When I got to my turn around, I said good morning and ran back toward the beach.  I started doing a bit of speed work between the telephone poles, but then I spied a gentleman standing in the surf, enjoying the beach.  That looked like a much better idea than fartleks.

The shoes and socks came off and I did a trash walk down the beach, enjoying the cool water on my feet.  So peaceful and beautiful.  

When I reached the end of the sand, I wiped off my feet with the outside of my socks, put my shoes back on and continued running home.

My almost 3 mile run turned into a lovely, almost 3 mile run/walk.  I'm good with that.

When I got home, I completed today's challenges, and refueled with water, more coffee, and a bagel with cream cheese prepared by my dude.  

Good morning.



1 comment:

  1. There is nothing wrong with a run/walk. :) Great job getting out there. I am headed to the Tidewater Striders' Summer Series tonight. Hoping for 4 miles, but we will see!

    ReplyDelete