Friday, July 19, 2013

Back At It: The Good and The Bad


I have not been doing a good job of running lately.  My main excuse is that it is unbelievably hot and humid outside.  We are in the midst of a heat wave that has settled a soupy haze over the entire island.  

But...I had promised myself that when we got back from vacation I would get back into an exercise routine.  I had toyed with the idea of going to classes at the gym, but with all of the appointments for the kids and their activities that get scheduled over the summer, I knew those classes would soon get pushed further and further down the priority list.  

The other option was the 6:00 AM classes.  I know it sounds terrible.  Who wants to get up that early in the summer if you don't have to?  The upside is:  I was usually up anyway.   Only I would be up wasting hours sitting in my pajamas, drinking coffee, and waiting for the rest of the house to wake up.  I decided to just go, get the exercise out of the way, and be home before anyone even woke up.

I started this week.

MONDAY:  My first Spin class in Y-E-A-R-S.  Remembering how hard it was last time, my goal was to just stay on the bike.  Yay!  

TUESDAY:  Didn't go :(   For whatever reason, I got about 45 minutes of sleep Monday night.  There was no way I would be up for anything at 5:00.  Plus, since lack of sleep is a migraine trigger, I didn't want to chance it.

WEDNESDAY:  Spin class!  A bit saddle sore, but I knew I could do it.  I could see all of the sweat dripping off my body.  

THURSDAY: X Factor with Robin.  This was a weights/cardio class that kept you moving the entire time.  Sometimes I couldn't complete all of the reps, I did several of the modified exercises for the old and out of shape, and I really struggled through the abs portion.  I know exactly where all of my weak areas are and I know I will have trouble moving tomorrow.

FRIDAY:  Spin Class.  Hills, hills, hills.  Great workout, pools of sweat.  I also purchased the 30-class punch card.  


Looks good, right?  When I got home, I felt so good and the temperature was probably only in the upper 80's (not yet sweltering, but almost)  so I decided to clean out, and detail my car.   I think this was my mistake.  The minivan was an oven.  About halfway through, the migraine aura started.  I really wasn't expecting it.
 

Last year when I was running regularly, I didn't see a migraine until August.  Looking at the barometric pressure today, I can't blame that (first time in a long time).  So it must have just been the heat.  

So that's happened.  It's over.  I am hobbling around from Thursday's torture session.  My original plan was to join up with the Jamestown Running group on their run tomorrow morning, but this heat is too much.  I have tentative plans to use my punch card and try out the yoga class on Sunday.  It'll feel good to get some all-over stretching before tackling the hills in Spin class on Monday.

Anybody want to join me?

On another note: I really need to figure out the best way to keep my hair out of my face.  It's too short for a pony tail, but I need it off my neck.  Any ideas?



2 comments:

  1. Check out my friends at Band It Headbands. I won't race without one! Love that you are finding the motivation to get up in the middle of the night to go workout at 6am! As always, you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. I just ordered two: a green one to match my 1/2 Crazy tank and a Denver Broncos one :)

      Delete