Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Now What?

I was feeling really good about starting a healthier 2015.  On January 1st we participated in the state parks' First Day Hikes.  We took a 4 mile hike through the snow at Chatfield State Park.  Then from January 2nd to January 4th we spent our time at Snow Mountain Ranch where we went tubing, ice skating, and cross-country skiing.  I was feeling a bit smug.  That's a lot of activity without a migraine.  I came home from our trip and added all of the BodyPump and Indoor Cycling classes from the Y that could fit into my schedule.  I figured it they showed up on my calendar (in bright yellow), I would be less likely to schedule over them and more likely to get to a few of the classes every week.  I spent yesterday, January 5th, running a few errands, getting a manicure/pedicure, and getting set for the kids to go back to school on the 6th.

January 5th, 3:17 pm:  Migraine Aura.  Are you kidding me?  What brought this one on? Six hours later, I started to be able to function again, but I just ate some chicken noodle soup and went to bed.

Now what?  Well, today I am dealing with my migraine hangover.  If you get migraines, you know what I am talking about.  If you don't, it's just like it sounds.

I am also not removing the bright yellow squares from my calendar.  I just won't be making the yoga class tonight.

On a more proactive front, I have to change my diet.  Diet and trigger foods have long been linked to migraines.  I did a lot of reading about the connection last year. Here's what I have concluded:
  1.  According to books such as, The Migraine Miracle, Grain Brain, and Against All Grain, there is a link between carbs, sugar, and migraines.  There is a lot of evidence to support these claims.  I am especially referring to how it was laid out in The Migraine Miracle.
  2. From my own experience (looking back over this training blog) I have found the link to be true as well.  When I was running frequently with out headaches, I was also following the South Beach Diet.  This diet cuts out carbs and sugars.  I was running without migraines.  As I added more and more of the grains and sugars back into my diet (also known as quitting), I continued to run.  Bam! Migraines! I attributed them to a lot of different factors.  I didn't make the connection to the carbs and sugars.  Now, I can clearly see the link.
So.  Yeah.  Good-bye carbs and sugars. Hello, Gym.

I will be chronicling how this all plays out here on The Sometimes Runner.  

Who knows?  I might even get back to running.  Surprisingly, I miss it.



1 comment:

  1. Hmm...well...you might have a duplicate comment here...as I was saying...what a pain in the ass to have those migraines! Hoping that you figure out the magical combination to alleviate them!

    ReplyDelete