Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Did It Anyway

I haven't run since Monday.  It was a short 2.6 mile run (yes, the .6 is important).  I missed two long runs.  I ran 5.5 miles three weeks ago (followed by a migraine).  I have a half-marathon to run in October. The (revised) schedule for today was to run 6 miles. 

As I sat around at Waterfire last night, I had pretty much talked myself out of running today.  My parents are visiting from Colorado.  I didn't want to spend one of the few days they were here knocked out with a migraine.  I hadn't run in so long, I wasn't sure if the long, six miler would be too long--and cause a migraine. And, I really didn't want to have another migraine.  

As I sat around trolling through Pinterest, I came across the picture above.  "If you wait for the perfect conditions, you'll never get anything done."  It spoke to me.  Enough that I changed my mind.  

This morning, I went through my new, high maintenance pre-run routine.  Once it was complete, I told my mom when I would be back and headed out.  The weather was ideal.  There are advantages to living on a beautiful island in Rhode Island in August.  For contrast, check out Jessica's constant complaining about the HEAT down in Virginia :)  Yes, I did enjoy the cool, sunny morning and ocean views on today's run. I did make my run a bit more high-maintenance this morning.  I had a pack of GU Blocks leftover from Brian's last race goodie bag.  I decided to try them in an effort to avoid the possible blood sugar drop that is a possible cause of exercise induced migraines.  That's a lot of possibles, but if it can possibly stave off a migraine, I will try it.

Well, whatever I did today, it worked.  I ran my long run, I didn't get a migraine.  Success.  

Today's Run:  6 miles.  1:14:31   12:25 min/mile pace.

I'll take it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment