Monday, August 27, 2012

Low Maintenance No More

I think I am a fairly easy-going, low key, low maintenance person.  (Feel free to jump in and disagree--I know someone who thinks she is low maintenance, but is actually the most high maintenance person on the face of the Earth.)  I liked how this translated to my running.  I got up, had some coffee, put on my running shoes and headed out the door.  I think those days are over.

Following my back-to back migraines, I had a running break.  I missed two long runs.  It was also a week of decisions and changes aimed at making the kids' lives easier (especially my little Dude who is still having a rough time).  Last week would probably have benefited from a few runs, but I watched the barometric pressure and it scared me off of running. 

But I have a half-marathon coming up soon.  I can't afford to miss long or short runs.  As it stands now I am on a steady ramp up to race day.  My first 13 miles will be on race  day.  So last night I made the decision to run this morning NO MATTER WHAT.  Mondays are usually a recovery run, so it's already short.  Just in case, it was also going to be slow.  It was also going to be well prepped; no more low maintenance running.

So now, I am a high-maintenance runner.  Good sleep, fuel, NSAID and allergy medicine, hydrate, go.  I wasn't going to check the barometer, but the weather man said it was high, so I did go check.  It was high, but steady and I decided to head out.  It is usually the changes that are a trigger, so I was going with the theory that high, but steady was okay.  (As I type this, I keep checking for blind spots and "floaties"--so far so good.) 


"High, but steady" was a bit of a mantra today.  And it wasn't just the barometric pressure.  It's now the kind of runner I am:  high-maintenance, but I get out and do it. Slower, but I will steadily get faster.  Low mileage, but it will slowly but surely add up.  

Today's Run:  2.6 miles.  33:18 mins.  12:48 min/mile.

I feel like I am going backwards, but I guess as long as I am running I am making progress.

What is your pre-run routine?  Do you consider yourself high-maintenance or low-maintenance?

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoy coffee before a run. Sometimes I might take some motrin. A small snack, depending on the time of day. The most critical element-a trip to the potty. Not trying to be gross but there are limited bathrooms along my route. Need to use it while I can! :)

    ReplyDelete