Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Just Do It, But Don't Push It

For weeks after I have a migraine I feel as though I am living on a knife's edge.  I feel like I am one glaring headlight, one flash of sunlight,one storm front away from another headache.  I constantly change my gaze asking, "Was that a blind spot?  Am I getting an aura?"  But I know that taking time off from running will throw my training off.  It would be too easy to stop and too hard to start again.  

I did take Monday off.  I was still too close to the migraine to go running.  Today, I knew I had to get out there.  Since Sunday, I have been hydrating like crazy.  I am rarely without a glass of water and  I made sure I was getting the sleep I needed.  Hopefully, that is two triggers eliminated.  Now I just had to worry about the weather.

When I woke up this morning, as I was making the coffee, the idea of NOT going for a run today did flit across my mind, but I quickly pushed it aside knowing that this was not an option.  As I watched the weather report and saw the storms forecast for today, I just hoped they were low pressure fronts and not high pressure fronts.  

I got dressed and stepped outside to the sound of thunder (how far off I sat and wondered).  Today I ran in the rain.  I ran VERY slowly.  I was plodding along.  I felt dumpy. I tried not to think about what other people would think as they passed me.  They have no idea how far I have come or how far I have to go.  I hoped I would not get a migraine when I got home.  I was barely winded when I got home. This was an important run.  I did it.  I got back on schedule.  

Today's run:  2.6 miles.  33.4 minutes.  12.56 min/mile pace.

What are you doing for exercise today?


No comments:

Post a Comment