Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Aches and Pains





Before I stepped out the door this morning, I had dubbed this The Aches and Pains Run.  Not a good start.




  • My right foot is pretending it has plantar fasciitis. It doesn't.  I refuse to be sidelined with this.  Luckily, it doesn't hurt while I am running.  To be on the safe side, here are the exercises I am adding to prevent it from getting worse.
  • My arm workout from yesterday has left me a bit sore.  Not a bad sore, just the kind that hurts worse if you bounce up and down.
  • Let's add general aches and pains in my knees and ankles.  These will always be there, so I usually just ignore them, but today I cataloged them.
  • I get migraines.  I usually need a couple of triggers to be present for one to appear.  One trigger is here; I can't do anything about it.  Drinking too much caffeinated soda is a big trigger for me.  I no longer drink soda. Another trigger is exercise-induced; going too far or too fast.  In the past, my best workouts have resulted in my worst migraines.  I haven't had one in a while (knock on wood), but I am also being very mindful of what my triggers are.  

I meant to grab my iPod before I headed out this morning.  I thought it would distract me from my whining.  I forgot it.  

I was running very slow.  As I headed uphill on my third interval, my mantra was "I'm not feeling it".  Oops.  Still, I kept going.

When I walked in the front door to pick up my water and get Carley for her walk, I wasn't even winded.  It felt a bit like a wasted run.


Running is mental:  I had a lot of negative thoughts this morning.  It translated to a less than stellar run.

Here's the crazy part:  knowing I was hurting, knowing there was a possibility of a migraine on the other end; I went anyway.

Today's run:  3.1 miles.  40:25 minutes. 13 min/mile pace.



What are you doing today?



2 comments:

  1. cool! I am going to start reading this daily!! this is v neat! (for the first time all summer, I'm out of bed before 11 am... did my best run today- 5 mi in 50 mins... w/ the heat & humidity, my times have soared (not in a good way) I was running better than this when I left SD, so I still don't feel my best... but I'm also another yr older ;-)
    for last 3 days I e been having Achilles pain... (not while running) :-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emilie,
    Good to hear from you! I think San Diego is just more conducive to running. Watch out for the Achilles. I busted mine up last summer and it took a lot of PT to get back to normal, and I think I still tend to baby it.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete