Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Didn't Run Today

 Today is a non-running day on the schedule.  I run on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays , with my long run on Sundays.  Saturday is a day off.  Up until now, Tuesdays and Thursdays were also a day off.  Not any longer.

I get up early in the morning and have a couple cups of coffee and catch up with the news and friends online.  On running days, I then go running.  On other days, I sit around and wait for the kids to wake up and the day to start.  Why?  That is prime workout time.  So I decided to use it to try to tackle some "problem" areas.  Arms and Abs.  

Here is the arm workout I did today (yes, I found it on Pinterest):

This was a lot harder than it looks.  I have not done any weights or upper body exercises in such a long time.  I will pay for that tomorrow.  My hands are a little shaky as I type this.  I made it through the whole list, but I did girl push-ups and my form may have suffered a bit towards the end.  

Then onto the abs.  I also pulled this off of Pinterest:
Rock Solid Abs

All I can say is I have some work to do.  The leg lift exercise really hurt my knees, so that will have to wait until I build up some strength to stabilize them.  The basic plank was okay.  The rest looked like the hippo.  I can only get stronger.

As if this wasn't enough torture, I pulled out the dreaded foam roller.  I have a serious love-hate relationship with this innocuous torture device.  My IT band is so tight that it often hurts to touch the outside of my leg.  This is supposed to help loosen it up.  Imagine if it hurts to touch your leg how much more it hurts to lay all of your weight on a hard foam cylinder and roll up and down from hip to knee.  This is also very hippo-esque.  

So there it is.  Done.  Thursday should be interesting.  Looking forward to my run tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment