Monday, July 30, 2012

No More

No more apologies. 
No more qualifying statements.
No more "quotes".

I ran. I am a runner.

My planned run today was my short 2.6 mile route.  This is the route I started with.  I tack distance onto the beginning of this route when a need to go farther.  I know this route.  

When I stepped outside to a wonderfully cool morning.  I decide to have a great run.  I started fast.  Here's where the no more apologies idea began.  While I run, I often think about what I will write.  In my head I saw, "I went out fast."  Then I started thinking that I would have to write it as:  "I went out 'fast'" or "I went out fast (for me)".  That is when I decided to stop qualifying my runs.  In yesterday's post I talked about my "long" run.  No more.  Next Sunday, I will write about my long run.  It will be long.  If I know I am running faster than usual, I will talk about my fast pace, my quick turnover, and my great form.  

I follow the Jeff Galloway plan for running.  It is comprised of walk/run intervals.  I am a "Galloway Girl".  I did the Rock-n-Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon in 2003 using this plan and 4:1 intervals.  I will post my intervals (which are currently 3 minutes of running: 1 minute of walking), but I won't apologize for not running the entire time.  

Obviously, there are runners out there that truly are fast.  My husband's slow run is faster than my fastest run.  That's okay.  They have their slow pace and their fast pace.  I have mine.  Their speed does not detract from my effort.  

I had a great run this morning.  I started fast.  It felt great and I realized that this was a short run.  I could speed up my intervals and still run the whole thing.  The worst thing that would happen is that I slowed down at the end.  Not all intervals were fast, but when I felt myself slowing down I just had to remind myself that this was a short run, I was almost home, I could push myself.  I did.

My run today was 2.6 miles.  29:25 minutes.  11:18 min/mile pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment