Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Excuses and Reasons

It's Wednesday.  It's a running day.

I didn't get much sleep last night.  I went to bed about 11:30, but I know I saw 2:30 am on the clock.  I'm not sure how long after that I finally fell asleep.

I woke up at 6:00.  I forced myself to stay in bed as long as possible.  I got up about 6:40.

I sat down on the couch with my coffee and picked up a book.  With no pressing plans, I thought it would be really nice to just sit and read a book.

The weather report on the news said it was going to be hot and humid today.

Enough excuses.  After I finished my book and emptied the coffee pot, I got into my running clothes and headed out the door.  It was hot, slightly humid and late. It was 9:40 am.  

As I took off, I felt a little shaky.  My feet were a little tingly.  There was a slight breeze, so the run wasn't going to be as hot as I thought.

About 10 minutes in, as I headed to the less populated part of my run, my arms and face got a little tingly.  I stopped, turned around, and walked home.

I don't count this as an excuse not to run, I think of it as a reason.  I was already out there.  I was running.  However, it is important to listen to your body.  It was telling me, "Not today."  Road ID bracelet notwithstanding, I didn't want to have a problem on that back section.  

Not sure why it wasn't working this morning.  My best guess is lack of fuel; usually I am back and eating breakfast by this time.  Waiting so long, I think I missed my window where I can do a short run without fueling up beforehand.  

Today's run:  Almost a mile.  10 minutes.  

What are you doing for exercise today?

3 comments:

  1. Did ~2 miles today, but VERY slow. I think it was about 90° with similar humidity. My flesh felt like it was on fire (and still looked that flushed about 30 mins later!). BUT, I had a cortisone shot in my heal, and I'm optimistic that it is going to help!

    I'm still thinking about you finishing a book in three hours, you speed reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job, Christi! I don't envy you the heat and humidity. I stay red after a run for a good hour or so. Always have, always will. How is your heel feeling?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete