Friday, October 19, 2012

Feelin' Groovy

The half marathon is over!  It's time to get serious about this running thing.  By serious, I mean getting back into the groove; running regularly.  

I started today.  I went for a short, 2.5 mile run.  I wanted to get back on my M-W-F schedule.  I needed to check out my body, to see how it was doing after Sunday's long, long run.

Hamilton Ave.
It was a bit damp and windy out, but the thermometer said it was 60 degrees.  It was just right to try out my new short-sleeve half marathon shirt I got in my race goody bag.  This shirt has the added benefit of being nice and soft; blowing my nose on it was so, so comfortable. (My nose sweats a lot while I run.)  

I planned a new route this morning.  I wanted to get out of my rut and into my groove.  The only concession to upcoming races was the hill I added to the route.  There are a lot of hills here on Jamestown.  This is the hill.  I deliberately avoided this hill on every other run.  Today, I ran up Hamilton.   No problem.   But this is the next race:  

Newport Pell Bridge
So, there will be hills.  I will welcome them.  They are good for me.

Overall, today's run felt great.  No aches and pains during the run.  I enjoyed it.  I do think it helped that I knew I would be done in less than half an hour.  

Injury report:  On practically THE LAST STEP of my run, my left foot started to really hurt.  This is a new spot for spikes and twinges.  I iced it immediately.  I hope this isn't going to be a recurring theme.

Today's Run:  2.25 miles.  26:38 minutes.  

How do you get back in the groove?

No comments:

Post a Comment