Saturday, October 13, 2012

Race Prep

Jen and Brian pick up race packets at
the Newport Yachting Center.
My running hat reads, "This seemed like a good idea three months ago."  Truer words and all that.  It's here.  

Today, we went into Newport to pick up our race packets.  We got our pretty pink bibs, our nice blue t-shirts (I needed a short sleeve technical shirt), and all the goodies that come in the bag. My son, Noah, documented the event with a quick picture. I also picked up some of the watermelon GU Blocks which I have convinced myself will help ward off the dreaded migraine.  

Easy-peasy right?  My running partner was also there picking up her stuff.  She wanted to know what I was wearing, what time I was going to get there, and other information pertinent to running a successful race.  I didn't have any of the answers.  

Now that I have thought about it:

  • My plan is to wear what I usually wear, with my long-sleeve running jacket on top.  It is forecast to be cold and windy tomorrow.  
  • Since Brian is also running tomorrow, albeit way ahead of me, I figure it's a safe bet that I will just get to the race when he wants to get there.  It will probably be way early because that is just the way he is wired;  I tend to show up just in time to hit the Porta-Potty before the start of the race.  
  • I have packed what I consider post race essentials (a Vitamin water and a banana--also part of the anti-migraine campaign) into the bag Brian will check at the race start/finish.  He also reminded me to throw in some sweats so I won't freeze in the wind and rain. He will have plenty of time after he finishes to get his post-race food and drink, pick up the bag, and be waiting at the finish line.  
  • Everything is laid out:  My bib number is pinned to my "13.1 because I'm only half crazy" tank shirt.  My running clothes are prepped next to my shoes.  My running water bottle is filled, the pocket is filled with GU Blocks.  My watch, source of the all-important interval beep,  is sitting with my water bottle.  My hat and sunglasses are waiting to be picked up as I head out the door.  The sun should be up by the time we get to the start line.
  • The timer is set on the coffee pot (Thanks, Brian!). My muffin and peanut butter are ready to be assembled.  (Really, they are just sitting in their normal spots, but I know they are there).
I think I got everything.  If not, I'll figure it out the hard way.   Good Night!





No comments:

Post a Comment