Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Uninspired

I haven't been running as much as I was this summer.  I haven't been running as much as I should be running.  I haven't been running as much as I WANT to be running.  

My running mojo left.  It became too hard. Not the running itself.  The run was easy.  It was empowering.  It felt great.  

The run prep was a pain.  It took something easy and made it work.  The possibility of a post-run migraine took a great stress-reliever and made my run the most stressful part of my day.  Not want I wanted out of my running.

I am signed up to run the Newport Half Marathon.  It is next Sunday.  I have to sign up for races to keep me going.  If I didn't have this run looming ahead, I would have quit running completely weeks ago; knowing I was going to be trudging around the streets of Newport kept me running.  I kept up with at least the pretense of training.  I got in enough long runs that I know I can finish the race.  But my running was uninspired.

Today I was inspired.
  •   I read a post this morning by my sister-in-law and felt I needed to keep the rhythmic drumming in my day.  
  • I have a friend ( a fellow Newport Princess) that is undergoing major, life-altering surgery RIGHT NOW in her quest to live a healthier life.  How can I not go for a run?
  • Jessica (another Princess) runs regularly.  Her life is just as hectic, if not more so, than mine.
  • I see the changes I have made in my life slowly slipping backwards as I let my running slip away.  I do not want to go backwards.
This morning, I put on my running clothes.  I was going to run.  First I had to drive the kids to school:  in the rain.  Oops.  I forgot to look outside.  But it didn't matter.  Today I was inspired.  Today I was going to run.  I also have very little room for excuses.  I went to the corner of the room and plugged in the treadmill.

It was not a "fun run".  Treadmills are not fun.  So monotonous. On the plus side, my footfalls made a nice hollow sound, very much like a drum.  

I tried to visualize my regular route, but I must have missed an interval or two because when I was almost home in my head, I still had a mile to go.  No problem.  I just did a quick rewind in my head and finished my run.   

The rain had let up a bit during my run.  It was down to a light drizzle, so I took Carley out for our regular post-run walk.  

Today's run:  2.6 miles.  32:18 minutes.  12:25 min/mile pace.

Next stop, Newport.






1 comment:

  1. I dislike running in the cold. So I am already preparing myself for this winter. I know that there may be weeks that I am running only one day a week or maybe even not at all. I am definitely not an all season runner. Everyone has their different motivation levels. Glad to hear that you still went running!

    ReplyDelete