Monday, October 22, 2012

My Morning run

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't sure if I was going to go running.  Sure, it was on my calendar, but really, that's more of a suggestion. Right?  

After a night of less than stellar sleep (read, woke up with TWO kids in the bed), I got up early--before the coffee started brewing-- to a chilly house.  Getting out the door was not looking promising.  I made breakfast for the kids and then the moment of truth arrived.  I went upstairs to "get dressed" to take the kids to school.  I use the term  "dressed" loosely.  I usually take them to school in whatever I pulled on so I don't freeze in the morning.  This morning it was sweat pants; some days it's pajamas.  I do, however, put on a bra.  So the big question on this cold Monday morning was:  regular bra or sports bra?  Well, the sports bra went on and my hopes of snuggling on the sofa with a book went out the window.

When I returned home to really get dressed, I had to dig to the bottom of my drawer for my cold-weather running pants and a long-sleeved Virginia is for Lover's 14K running shirt.  Undaunted by the howling wind, I laced up my shoes and headed out the door.  

As soon as I started, I was glad I went.  Even though my feet felt heavy as I started out, there were no shooting pains in either foot.  Dressed as I was, the temperature was actually perfect.  I even got a nice tailwind up the first hill.  I had a vague idea of where I wanted to run.  I was hoping it was about 3 miles.  

Running by East Ferry next to the Narragansett Bay with the Newport Pell Bridge in the background is just beautiful.  I passed a lot of runners, bikers, and dog walkers.  I ran by an elderly couple walking, holding hands.  I ran by an old lady walking down the street.  She was so hunched over, she was practically bent in half; but very cheerful in her "Good Morning". (I stood a little straighter and vowed to take my calcium vitamins regularly.)  Most of the cars driver's were friendly and waving this morning.  It was a great way to charge up for the week ahead.

I came back home, picked up Carley and headed out for our walk.  She needs to get out, too.

Today's Run:  3.3 miles.  38:345 mins.  

How do you start your week?  What gets you going?



3 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I get my running clothes out and put them on before breakfast. That way nothing will distract me from getting the run in. When Russ is home, I start my run right from the bus stop because he has the baby. Great job getting out there on a brisk and blustery morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I'm definitely headed your way soon. I'll be in PXO school starting December 3rd. I'll bring some cold weather running gear, and if it's not completely freezing, maybe we could catch a couple of miles together. Or just drink some hot chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi,
      That sounds great! You know you are always welcome here for dinner, downtime, whatever. It'll be great to see you again.
      Jen

      Delete