Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I've Got A Streak Going Now

Day 2:  I made it back to the gym!  I even dragged someone with me. Hilarity ensued.

That I even made it to the gym today was pretty amazing.  The wind chill was -10°.  I did a fairly good job bundling up, but my ankles were freezing.  Once I got inside the gym, my ears started to thaw.  I couldn't tell they were frozen because they were numb, but that was a fun way to start the class, Body Pump (or something like that).

Then it was time to gather all of the equipment.  Body Pump needs a lot of equipment:
  • step with two risers
  • barbell (2)
  • extra weights
  • dumbbells (different weights)
  • yoga mat
  • floor mat
  • towel
  • water bottle
So now I was ready to go.  Grab the barbell and weights for the warm-up and go.

Great.  I have five pounds on the bar and my arms are already starting to feel a little like Jello.

The class was actually pretty good.  The instructor, Mark, was great.  I enjoyed his style.  He clearly explained each exercise and was easy to follow.

What wasn't so great was how my muscles cried during the exercises.  I mentioned yesterday that I hadn't felt very in shape since I had run the Newport Half back in 2012?  Well, even when I was running a lot, I wasn't doing any lifting.  So who knows how long it had been since my muscles did something like this.

I kept up pretty well.  I dialed the weight way back.  Sometimes I used only the barbell without any weights.  On one exercise, I didn't even use the barbell.  

Things got funny when we laid down to begin the ab workout. I was so happy that we were actually going to lay down!  Then we started on lower abs.  I do not have lower abs.  I am convinced that when they cut me open to deliver my last child, they removed my lower abdominals.  I lifted my legs and flopped around, but it didn't really look like anyone else's movements.  This part never seemed to end.  My partner in crime seemed to be having similar issues.  We lay prostrate and laughed.  Even  Mark coming to the back of the room to "help us out" didn't improve my results.  This is definitely an area I need to work on.

After class, we walked down the stairs on wobbly legs.  I KNOW I am going to be super sore tomorrow.  Both sitting and standing are going to be problematic.  I may not have the use of my arms.
Boy, I hope so!

I am picking up my gym buddy tomorrow morning at 5:30 for Spin.

Anyone else going to be sore tomorrow?




1 comment:

  1. "I lifted my legs and flopped around" Thank you so much for your honesty-I had a good laugh! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete