Monday, January 6, 2014

Making My Way Across America . . .Or At Least Out of Newport

Day 1:  I went back to Boot Camp.  Let me tell you.  It was nothing like I remember boot camp.  That boot camp was running, push-ups, and sit-ups. And a lot of yelling.

This boot camp was stations: weights, kettle bells, burpees (which weren't even a thing when I went to boot camp), jumping, lungeing, planking, sweating, dying. And loud music.

Seemed like a good class.  The instructor was informative, energetic, and not annoyingly peppy.  The circuit went in 45 second intervals, with blocks of weight exercises in between.  And the music was good.

I started out strong and faded quickly.  I am just really that out of shape.  I was wearing my 2012 Newport Half Marathon t-shirt and I am pretty sure that was the last time I really felt like I was in shape.  I was also wearing my super comfy yoga pants that were made for yoga poses.  Not jumping and running.  I spent quite a bit of time hiking my pants up.  Made me look extra cool.

As the class progressed my repetitions got slower and slower.  The thought running through my mind, besides "Are we done yet?" was that I actually needed to come back to the gym  and it would be a good idea if I could actually move my arms and legs tomorrow. 

Then relief as we moved to the abs portion and I thought I would be able to lie down. Nope.  All planks.  And the weird twisty, arms and legs going different directions kind of planks.  Umm. I did a modified version. 

All in all, success.  I went to the gym.  I signed up for the "Make Your Way Across America Challenge" and I am hopeful that I will make it out of Rhode Island this year.

What did you do today?



2 comments:

  1. Nothing....I ran yesterday. :) Can't wait to follow you across the country. How does the Jamestown Half sound?? Would you be up for it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure we will be gone. I'll let you know as we get more info.

    ReplyDelete