Friday, August 17, 2012

I'm Bringing Sexy Back

I go back and forth on the music front.  Do I run with it or without it?  Lately, I have been doing hybrid runs.  I start out without my music, I run down to the beach and listen to my feet on the sand, the waves, and the wildlife.  When the beach is behind me and all of the hills are ahead of me, I put in an ear bud and  keep going.  Today was no different.  

So I thought I would share some of my running playlist.  I know everyone's taste in music is different.  Many of these songs have been on my running list for years; I remember running to them in Monterey and Virginia Beach;  some of them I have added recently:
  • Coldplay, Viva La Vida
  • The Killers, Human and Somebody Told Me
  • Eminem, Lose Yourself
  • Green Day, American Idiot, St. Jimmy, and Holiday
  • Barenaked Ladies, One Week
  • Ozzy Osbourne, Crazy Train
  • My Chemical Romance, Na Na Na
  • Blues Traveler, Run-Around, Brother John
  • Finger Eleven, Paralyzer
  • Train, Hey Soul Sister and Drive By
  • Justin Timberlake, SexyBack
  • Kings of Leon, Use Somebody and Sex on Fire
This morning, as I was running with my music, I turned the corner and faced another hill.  (My husband calls hills "speed work") and I thought "I got this" and pushed up the hill.  Or at least I started to:  my watch beeped, the run interval was over.  I decided that I could up my intervals.  I did the rest of the run in 4:1 intervals.  This was doable.  Small problem was the incredible side cramp that I got a couple of intervals later.  It slowed my time waaay down, but I know from past experience that the best thing to do is put your arms up and try to run through it. It was almost gone by the time I got home.  If I'd had to run farther I feel it would have worked itself out completely.  I will not blame it on the increased interval, however, for the 6 miles on Sunday, I will stick to 3:1 and go back to 4:1 next week.

Today's run:  3.1 miles.  38:51 minutes.  12:30 min/mile pace.

Last week a fellow Newport Princess gave me a fantastic hostess gift--an iTunes gift card.  I am looking forward to adding some new songs to this list.  What songs are missing on this list?  What are your go to running songs?  

6 comments:

  1. Side cramps are my running nemesis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I won't have them regularly. That was not fun. Picked a shirt yet?

      Delete
  2. Matchbox 20 - How Far We've Come
    Modest Mouse - Float On
    Pearl Jam - Given to Fly
    Fun. - Some Nights
    U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
    Black Eyed Peas - Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night

    Co-worker submissions (clearly):
    Vanessa Carlton - White Houses
    Notorious Thugs - By Notorious BIG and Bone Thugs & Harmony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only heard of some of those. I'll check them out. Thanks, Dylan (and Co-worker).

      Delete
  3. Ditto on Dylan's "some nights" choice, +
    Eminem: No Love
    Little Wayne: Drop the World
    My Chemical Romance: Sing
    Natasha Bedingfield: Strip Me
    Kanye & Jay-z: ____ in Paris
    Katy Perry: Wide Awake
    Pink: F*cking Perfect & Blow Me One Last Kiss
    One Republic: Secrets
    Disturbed: Warrior
    K'naan: Take a Minute
    Alex Clare: Too Close
    There's more, but this list is getting pretty long!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christi! I'll be looking at iTunes to pump up my list. How's the running going in LA?

      Delete